App Load Screen

This was a design commissioned while I was interning at Microsoft. Some fellow Windows interns were developing a measurement app for the Windows 8 Tablet to be featured at the BUILD conference.

I hopped on the opportunity in order to get some exposure to developing application branding. I created the splash screen, logo, and Live Tile for the application.

The process behind this peice was incredibly fun. I stuck to the official typeface of Windows 8 for this project, Segoe. The text was all created in Illustrator, vector outlined, and typeset to an even gridspacing. I also created the edge of the ruler from the side angle as a vector. I imported all of these graphics into Maxon Cinema 4D and performed and Extrude Nurbs operation on them to add depth to the text and rulers. I then attached rigid body dynamics to both rulers, the text, and the studio lighting floor. From a height of about 1 meter, I roughly arranged the objects and let them drop into an organic arrangement on the studio floor. From there, I added a quick inches texture to the rulers that I made in Illustrator and rendered the whole setup with several HDRI lights with the GI and AO samples cranked up. I created a separate depth pass too. I imported all the renders into Photoshop with the architectural dimensions seen above the "mea" and composited them all together, making tasteful colour adjustments.

 Modeled, lit, textured, and rendered (Global Illumination, AO, Depth of Field) in Cinema 4D
 Composited in Photoshop
 Measurement vectors created in Illustrator


Windows 8 Live Tile


Beauty Shot

This was one of my first branding experiences, as well as a hard lesson in real-world design politics.

A friend at school recommended me to an acquaintence of his that ran a technology news site called "My Gadget News." He need a logo, and I had no idea how much most designers charged for an identity, so I accepted his paltry payment of $35. After I realized how long the branding was going to take, I asked for $50 and sent in a watermarked version of the logo for him to preview. He never got back to me and the next day I saw this posted on his site header:

It was a blatant ripoff of the logo I designed for him, with considerably less polish. I was fairly salty at first, but after the initial unfairness wore off, I realized I learned a good life lesson from all of this - be sure you have a mutual understanding and expections are set with your client before you begin work.

To create this design, I pulled inspiration from iconic Nintendo 64 logo.

To make it less retro and more modern, I created the USB male end in Cinema 4D through a series of bevels, extrusions, and boolean operations. I used the pen tool with grid-snap enabled in Illustrator to draw the "M", "G", and "N", exporting them to Cinema where I extruded them and performed a union operation on all of the resulting mesh, cleaning the end result to have more functional topology. After adding materials and studio lighting, I renderd out the logo with an alpha channel and brought it into Photoshop. From here, I added some of the highlights and broke up the texture on the MGN, as well as added some particle effects for the final beauty shot.

The MGN font is one of my own invention and the text is Helvetica. It's overused, but hey, there's a reason for that!

 Modeled, lit, textured, and rendered (Global Illumination, AO) in Cinema 4D
 Composited in Photoshop
 Letter vectors created in Illustrator

Site Icon

Web Banner


This project was created as an event poster for my school's monthly Acoustic Cafe night.

As usual, I was going for an aesthetic somewhere between Nik Ainley's typography experiments and Serial Cut's 3D composited work.

The font used as a hand-made mashup of Neutrino and Bifurk with tweaks I performed in Illustrator to improve legibility of the block letters. The guitar model was created in Cinema 4D. I used my mainstay technique of attaching rigid body dynamics to all scene objects, arranging them in relative positions, and letting Cinema's physics solver arrange them in a nice, messy stack. I lit the studio setup with HDRI lights, exporting a black and white GI/AO render to Photoshop.

I created vector masks using the pen tool around the faces of all the letters. I also created a second render without the studio backdrop so that I could have a way of isolating the area behind the letters. I then found several rust, plaster, and concrete textures, applying them across the letters, floor, and wall, adjusting colour levels/curves as necessary.

 Modeled, lit, textured, and rendered (Global Illumination, AO) in Cinema 4D
 Composited in Photoshop
 Text vectors created in Illustrator


For this piece, I was looking for a tone that was evocative of the fall months, and some modification of Nick Campbell's HDRI LightKit Pro "golden hour" preset achieved this.

The pumpkin was a very simple low polygon model with HyperNurbs applied, as well as a shader I created with a painted pumpkin texture and a striped alpha on the displacement channel to achieve the "ribbed" look.

Each of the tickets was a plane with slight deformation and a texture of the event details as a diffuse layer. I created a ripped looking alpha in Photoshop and added the alpha to the material in Cinema.

The render looked great right out of Photoshop, so I added the 2D text to the design and went to get the tablecards printed at the local copy shop.

 Modeled, lit, textured, and rendered (Global Illumination, AO) in Cinema 4D
 Alpha layers created in Photoshop
 Text and ticket vectors created in Illustrator







Virginia Tech Union, My Gadget News, Forum Competitions

These graphic design and identity projects were formative stages of my progress in 3D art. I learned how to create basic shapes and textual elements and create composites from 3D renders and Photoshop.

Graphic Design, 3D Compositing, Global Illumination Rendering